Do you understand your research assignment and what is expected of you?
Before selecting a topic or starting your research, make sure you understand your assignment and its requirements. Consider the following:
- Have you been assigned a topic or can you pick your own?
- How many pages/words do you need to write? How long is your presentation?
- Do you need to include specific types of sources? (e.g., scholarly journal, book, government document)
- When is the assignment due? How much time do you have to do your research?
- Is currency of information important?
When in doubt, consult your instructor.