Steps to Apply SIFT:
1. Identify an Internet site related to your topic of research for this course or use another chemistry-related site of interest to you. Note: You must choose a website. Journal Articles are NOT acceptable for this assignment.
2. Please post a new thread using the name of your website as the subject and URL of the site as the content of the discussion post by 11:59 pm on Mar. 25 .
3. Ximena will reply to your post and either approve your choice or ask you to choose a different site.
4. Once your website has been approved, prepare a 3 to 3.5-minute presentation (to be presented in class on Apr. 6) during which you evaluate that website. You should apply the CRAAP Test to your site, but in order to apply the CRAAP criteria, you should go beyond just your chosen site. Explore other sources to determine the entity that is actually responsible for the site.
5. Complete the CRAAP Test worksheet for the website you chose. (You can download the Worksheet from the "Website and Paper Presentations" section of Pilot). Be sure to answer all of the questions in the worksheet and submit it to the dropbox on Apr. 6.
After completing your worksheet, use it to determine which 2-3 CRAAP criteria are the most important for evaluating your website and emphasize those during your oral presentation. The grading rubric for your presentation is on the first page of the worksheet. For your convenience, a completed example worksheet and a recording of an example presentation are posted in the same section of Pilot.
Please demonstrate on your worksheet and during your presentation that you are not relying just on what the website says to determine who is responsible for it and if the information is credible. Branch out to other sources to help you evaluate the site.