Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Copyright: Protect Your Copyright

WSU Policy

Wright State University

Copyright Policy

Copyright Assistance

For assistance with copyright questions, WSU students, staff, and faculty should contact:

WSU Office of General Counsel

Tangible Form

You obtain copyrights when your idea is expressed in a fixed, tangbile form.  Traditional examples of these forms include books and other printed materials, plays, movies and pictures, music, and dance.  Copyright attaches to any scholarly or creative work as soon as its expression is in fixed form (paper, computer file, film, tape, etc.).  You generally retain copyright ownership of the materials you create while you work at the University; articles, teaching tools, artwork, or software.  Read the WSU Policy and Procedures for Intellectual Property for more information.


When you publish a scholarly work (book or article) the publisher may ask you to sign a contract that assigns the copyrights of the work to the publisher.  Read these agreements carefully.  Some contracts state that you agree to relinquish your ability to use your own work, including classroom uses, or the creation of derivative works. Your WSU College or Department may have guidelines for publication agreements.


Copyright owners include: authors, composers, poets, dramatists, choreographers, and others.  Copyrights vary by the nature of the work of the copyright owner.

Copyright Registration

Copyright attaches to any scholarly or creative work as soon as it is expressed in a fixed form (paper, computer file, film, tape, etc.).   Registration of your copyright strengthens your position if you must pursue a case of copyright infringement.

How to register a copyright ...

~ by the United States Copyright Office


The Copyright Information Guide is provided by the University Libraries as an educational service to the University community.  The information contained in this guide is not legal advice.  Individuals and organizations should consult the Wright State University Office of the General Counsel or their own attorney.