Browse all research guides (guides for other relevant subjects such as medicine, anatomy, education, and psychology)
Or use these related research guides:
1. Carefully read and re-read the instructions in your syllabus or grading rubric to be sure you understand the health issues, topics, cultures, or ethnic groups you are being asked to research and address in your assignment. Also, be sure you understand if specific types of sources are required. If you don't understand, ask your course faculty for clarification.
2. Write down exact key phrases and phrases from your assigned topic, culture, or ethnic group. You may have to brainstorm other keywords to do an effective search, but you need to start somewhere, so start with what you already have.
3. Based on your assignment instructions, decide the following:
4. If you need nursing articles, use CINAHL (use the "Nursing Articles" tab of this guide for help).
5. If you need to discuss a particular culture, look for subject encyclopedias, and reputable web sites to familiarize yourself with some characteristics of the culture. Aside from giving you an overview of some of the major aspects of the culture, background sources can give you more specific keywords and phrases to search, which may help you scholarly articles that are relevant to what the issues you have been asked to address in your paper. (Use the "Culture / Ethnicity" tab of this guide for help).
6. After you have some reputable background information, you can start using some of the keywords you brainstormed and found in your background information to search for scholarly articles or books and book chapters on the topic.
7. Remember, you will have to synthesize information from multiple sources to address the various questions required of you. It is highly unlikely that you will find a single source that provides an overview of all the information you need for a research paper. Even if you do, simply paraphrasing or summarizing information from a single existing source is not research. Researchers need to draw their own connections from among various sources and synthesize that information into a coherent whole with their writing.
If you are still struggling to find appropriate sources after using this guide, please email Ximena or use the "Schedule Appointment" button to make a WebEx appointment with Ximena. In your email or your appointment form, please be as specific as possible about your topic, culture, etc.